Sunday 26 June 2005

Randwick Races - How to back a winner

I'm not much of a gambler, too much Scottish miser blood in me. A day at the races is more about the dressing up, champagne and people-watching for me than anything else. Went up to Randwick on Saturday with Jess, Brian and a few of Brians friends. I came out pretty much evens for the day - but I guess at $2 a bet - I was never going to lose much!

While sipping my champagne I did observe the behavior of some of the more adventurous gamblers. Some observations:

1. The favorite never or rarely wins: go for the underdog - pays better too.
2. Act like a winner - be a winner: Margaret backs the outsider at 25:1, and watches him take the race while sipping a glass of $25 a glass Moet.
3. Follow your allegiances: Got a hot tip at the food bar - go for the horse in the next race with the Armenian name and Armenian trainer - sure to be a winner!
4. Colours, names, numbers, inklings and divine inspiration are as valid a method for picking a winner than any other. Jess swears by the number 2.


Alison and Jess @ the races
Jess and I

Jess Dave, Sean, Jen @ the races
Jess, Dave, Sean and Jen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counter
Free Web Site Counter